Brisbane Boys’ College is one of four outstanding schools owned by the Presbyterian and Methodist Schools Association (PMSA) along with our sibling schools – Clayfield College, Sunshine Coast Grammar School and Somerville House.
Established in 1918, the PMSA is a joint mission of the Uniting Church of Australia, Queensland Synod and the Presbyterian Church of Queensland. The Churches formed the PMSA to purchase Brisbane High School for Girls (now Somerville House) and Clayfield College (now Brisbane Boys’ College) in 1918.
More than 100 years on, the PMSA is a financially strong, not-for-profit organisation that plays a vital role in setting the direction of each school and the connecting link between the schools and the two churches. All PMSA schools offer a unique ecumenical learning environment where children learn Christian values common to two churches, not the beliefs and practices of just one church.
The PMSA works together with the Brisbane Boys’ College School Council and Headmaster to provide:
- a caring, Christian-based culture
- high quality programs for developing teaching excellence
- financial strength and support
- human resources, legal and compliance support
- governance and policy-making support, particularly around child safety
The PMSA is run by a board which comprises 13 members. Up to five PMSA Board members are each appointed by the Presbyterian Church and the Uniting Church and up to three are directly appointed by the PMSA Board. The PMSA Board is supported by three committees, a School Council for each of the schools and the PMSA corporate office.
Click here for more information on PMSA Board Members
Brisbane Boys' College School Council
Brisbane Boys’ College School Council is made up of up of nine members including two PMSA Board members, up to six independent School Council members appointed from the school’s community, and the school Headmaster, who is a non-voting member. The Brisbane Boys’ College School Council is delegated the responsibility to govern and administer the performance of the school. The School Council’s role includes:
- establishing and implementing the College business and strategic plans.
- monitoring the management of risks within Brisbane Boys’ College.
- overseeing BBC’s financial and operational performance against KPIs.
- ensuring BBC adheres to all policies and procedures including child protection.
- overseeing new School Council member appointments.
- being actively involved in the process of appointing the school Headmaster.
- managing the ongoing performance of the school Headmaster.
The school Headmaster reports to the School Council and is responsible for the daily operations of the school.
For more information about the School Council’s roles and responsibilities, please see the Brisbane Boys’ College School Council Charter.
When positions on the Brisbane Boys’ College School Council are vacant, they will be advertised on the BBC website, the school newsletter, the PMSA website, and appropriate websites for board positions available.
BBC Council members are:
- Mr Mark Gray - Chairman
- Mr Kevin Standish
- Mr John Down
- Mr Vaughan Henry
- Dr Marion Tower
Mr Mark Gray, Chairman
DUniv, B Econ (Hons), Sf Fin, FAICD
Mark is an accomplished company director and senior executive, with extensive experience in strategic leadership, financial services, investment banking, corporate governance and organisational change across corporate, government and not-for-profit organisations.
Mark is a member of the PMSA Board and was appointed as Chairman of the Brisbane Boys’ College School Council from January 2019. He has been a member of the School Council since 2015. A BBC Old Collegian, Mark appreciates the benefits of a quality education in a Christian environment. He is keen to promote the mission and the vision of the PMSA through a period of change and renewal.
Mark has an Honorary Doctorate from Griffith University and is an Adjunct Professor of Economics at the University of Queensland. He was awarded a Prime Minister’s Centenary Medal in 2003 for services to banking and finance.
- Chairman - Brisbane Boys’ College School Council
- PMSA Board member (first appointed 2018, current term until 2021)
- Member - PMSA Audit, Finance and Risk Committee
- Fellow - Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Senior Fellow, Financial Services Institute of Australia
- Chairman - Sugar Terminals Limited
- Chairman - Queensland Section and Director, Federation Board, Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia
- Chairman - Tailored Superannuation Solutions
- Director - Data#3
- Director - Q-Pharm
- Director - Queensland Cricket
- Former Chief Executive of Queensland Treasury, Queensland Competition Authority, and the Queensland Independent Commission of Audit
- Former Board roles include Griffith University, Queensland Treasury Corporation, Airtrain Citylink Limited, Queensland Art Gallery, Oaks Hotels and Resorts Limited, Urban Futures Brisbane and Max Frank (Australia) Pty Ltd
Mr John Down
John Down has extensive private and public sector experience. He has significant Board experience in both public and private companies. Currently the Chairman of Asia Pacific Aircraft Solutions Ltd and Nutrafruit Pty Ltd, his former Board appointments include AUSTRADE (Deputy Chairman), Export Finance Insurance Corporation; QCT Resources Ltd; Anaconda Nickel Ltd; Santos Ltd – UK and USA; and Herron Pharmaceutical where he served on the advisory board.
In 1997 he founded Viking Industries Ltd., a multi-faceted marine industrial business which was subsequently sold as a mid-cap publicly listed company to private equity in 2008.
He was appointed to the position of Co-ordinator General and Director-General, in the Office of Major Projects, by the Premier of Queensland in 1993, and held this position until 1996. In 1970, John co-founded the GRM Group of Companies, a multifaceted agribusiness with operations in over 50 countries, which was also sold to private equity in 1992.
- Member - Brisbane Boys' College School Council (first appointed 2012, current term until 2019)
- Non-executive Chairman – McPowerMSL
- Chairman – Asia Pacific Aircraft Solutions Ltd
- Chairman – Micropower Ltd
- Chairman – Nutrafruit Pty Ltd
- Former Board roles include Viking Industries Ltd, Windsor Resources NL, QCT Resources Ltd, Santos, and Anaconda Nickel NL
Mr Vaughan Henry
Vaughan Henry has more 34 years’ experience in financial services having held senior advisory and distribution positions within both local and international institutions including HSBC, Qld Treasury, GoldmanSachs, JBWere and Certitude Global.
He is currently the executive director of distribution and investor services at Blue Sky Alternative Investments in Brisbane. He is responsible for relationships within the Australian financial advisory, family office and private client markets.
Vaughan specialises in the provision and distribution of investment solutions through a broad network of financial planners, accountants and family offices.
- Member - Brisbane Boys' College School Council (first appointed 2016, current term until 2020)
- Director – Kensington Terrace Ltd
Mr Kevin Standish
Kevin Standish has long-standing connection with PMSA schools and with the Presbyterian Church. His two daughters attended Clayfield College and he was grateful for their excellent education. When approached to become a PMSA Board member, Kevin was pleased to have the opportunity to give back and allow others to experience the opportunities his daughters experienced.
A practising commercial solicitor for 40 years, Kevin is now retired and holds several senior board positions and brings his governance, legal and corporate expertise to the PMSA Board.
- Member - Brisbane Boys' College School Council
- PMSA Board member (first appointed 2010, current term until 2020)
- Lawyer; former practising solicitor
- Director - Bridgeport Energy Limited
- Director - Queensland Bulk Handling Pty Ltd
- Member - Albion Rotary Club
- Vice-Chairman - Committee of Management at Scots Presbyterian Memorial Church, Clayfield
Dr Marion Tower
BN (Hons), MN, PhD
Marion has many years teaching and learning and leadership experience in the higher education sector.
Marion has broad experience is academic leadership roles and in leading curriculum design, implementation and review and has been involved in numerous research projects around students’ experiences of university, student engagement and supporting and assessing students’ learning.
Her research interests include the student experience of university, assessment of learning, supporting casual academic staff, education and clinical decision making. Marion also supervises several PhD students across a range of interests and research methodologies.
She is also Deputy Chair and a board director for Metro South Hospital and Health Services and is Cahir of the Metro South Hospital and Health Services Safety and Quality committee.
Marion completed a Bachelor of Nursing (Hons) in Sydney and has worked across NSW, VIC and QLD. She completed a Master of Nursing through QUT and a PhD at Griffith University.
- Member - Brisbane Boys' College School Council (first appointed 2017, current term until 2020)
- Deputy Chair – Metro South Hospital and Health Services
- Chair – Metro South Hospital and Health Services Safety and Quality committee
Mr Paul Brown, Headmaster
BA (Eng/Hist), MA (Eng) (MERIT) (Uni Syd), Cert HRM (MGSM), MACEL, MAHRI
PMSA Vision and Values
All PMSA schools play an important role in educating and guiding young people with values for life. Founded on strong Christian values – relationships, care, ethics, personal development, excellence and celebration – Brisbane Boys’ College and other PMSA schools share these collective values. The four schools work collaboratively to share their knowledge and expertise to enhance the educational experience across all schools.
Click here to learn more about PMSA Christian Mission, Vission and Values